Football Team Gets First Win

Posted on August 29, 2011 in Fall Sports, Football, Home

Grant Perkins runs against Mississinewa in 2010

Oak Hill defeats Southwood 24-21
Published: Saturday, August 27, 2011 1:17 AM EDT
Eric Hinderliter

MIER — There was more than a hint of pride in Oak Hill football coach Bud Ozmun’s voice in talking about his squad after Friday night’s 24-21 victory over Southwood.

“I’m happy for our guys,” Ozmun said. “There was some doubt after last week. We got a needed win.”

The Eagles followed up last week’s debacle at Eastern with two mistake-filled quarters against the Knights.  Oak Hill took three drives in the first half deep into Southwood territory only to come up with a 40-yard field goal by Riley Johnson. Two Kegan Anderson fumbles came within 10 yards of the end zone while quarterback Derek Durkes was intercepted twice by Brayton Hensley and Shane Smith.

Southwood, after being stopped by the Eagles on its first two drives had long scoring drives in the second quarter of 89 and 92 yards. The Knights were fueled by strong-armed quarterback Conner Hobbs connecting on passes with wideout Levi Winget. That combination was a clear concern of Ozmun leading up to the game. The unexpected source of Southwood offense came from an unlikely source — diminutive running back Nathan Hollars.

“He came out of nowhere,” Ozmun said. “We had not even planned for him.”

The 140-pound Hollars darted for 120 yards on the night with two scores in the first half, including an electrifying 37 dash to the end zone.

For as many opportunities squandered and mistakes made in the first half, Oak Hill had as many opportunities it took advantage of and big plays made in the second half.  It started with the defense making a monumental stop on a fourth down play on Southwood’s opening drive that stalled at the Oak Hill 22.

Starting with a pair of Anderson first down runs, Durkes then hit Wes Mann with a pass that Mann momentarily bobbled. After gaining control, Mann streaked down the sideline on a 47 yard scoring play. The defense keyed the next Oak Hill score as Grant Perkins picked off a Hobbs pass at the Oak Hill 30. Durkes completed the scoring drive by hitting Anderson with a short three yard scoring pass giving the Eagles a 17-14 lead going into the final quarter of play.

“Our defense stepped it up in the second half,” Ozmuns said.

They were able to find an answer for Hollars bottling the shifty back up after making adjustments along the defensive line.

A nice punt return by Kyle Weaver gave Southwood a short field to work with late in the fourth quarter and Hobbs was able to find Winget in the end zone on a short pass to put the Knights up 21-17.

Matt McDivett took the ensuing kick back to the Southwood 30.  Ozmun was not deterred by the earlier fumbles and put the ball in the hands of Anderson when the game was on the line. Anderson responded by pounding the ball on three straight plays and scoring with 1:35 left in the game. Anderson finished the game with 120 yards.

One final defensive play ended Southwood’s hopes as Jagen Millspaugh picked off Hobbs to seal the victory for the Eagles.

Oak Hill, which moves to 1-1 opens Central Indiana Conference play next week hosting Mississinewa.  Southwood, which drops to 0-2, will go home for their league opener with Whitko.


Leave a Comment