Golden Eagles Shock Eagles

Posted on September 18, 2011 in Fall Sports, Football, Home

By Travis Whitton The Herald Bulletin The Herald Bulletin Sat Sep 17, 2011, 12:21 AM EDT

FRANKTON, Ind. — Strange couldn’t even describe the game between Frankton and Oak Hill on Friday.

The Golden Eagles scored 15 points in the final 1:47 to escape with a 35-27 victory.

“It’s pretty tough,” Frankton coach Otis Cress. “We outplayed them for most of the game.”

Frankton (1-4) dominated the game at the start. The Eagles capped off their first drive with an 11-yard run by Conner Crawford and Bobby Brown’s extra point to snag a 7-0 lead. The 11-play, 80-yard drive was propelled by Tyler McKeon’s 47 yards on the ground.

Oak Hill drove 65 yards on its first possession, but a fumble in the end zone by quarterback Derek Durkes was recovered by Frankton’s Jeff Cleek to end the threat.

Durkes gave the ball back to Frankton again on Oak Hill’s next possession on an interception by Jordan Ginder.

Frankton drove 69 yards, finishing the drive with a 6-yard touchdown by McKeon. Brown’s kick was blocked, leaving Frankton with a 13-0 lead.

But Oak Hill stormed back, getting a 48-yard touchdown run from Alec Samuels and a 70-yard interception return from Matt McDivitt to even things up at the half.

On Frankton’s first drive of the second half, McKeon notched another touchdown run, this time from a yard out. His second TD of the game gave the Eagles a 21-13 lead.

Oak Hill responded with a touchdown by Keegan Anderson on 49-yard run. Riley Johnson’s extra-point kick kept the Golden Eagles within striking distance at 27-19.

The final two minutes were devastating for the Eagles, unbelievable for the Golden Eagles.

Crawford fumbled at Oak Hill’s 26-yard line and the visitors recovered. They proceeded to drive 74 yards and scored when Durkes hit Samuels on a 26-yard pass play. Oak Hill’s Anderson ran in the two-point conversion to give the Golden Eagles their first lead of the game at 28-27.

On the first play after the kickoff, McKeon, who finished with 37 carries for 278 yards, dropped the ball. Oak Hill found itself in the right place at the right time once again, capitalizing on the turnover from the 23-yard line.

It took just two plays before Anderson found his way back into the end zone from 15 yards out with :44.7 on the clock.

Cress wasn’t quite sure what to tell his kids after a game that they were winning on paper.

“I don’t know, it’s hard to say,” Cress said.  “Come back and get them next week, that’s all we can do.”


Leave a Comment